It should be relatively easy to find a place for flu shot vaccinations this year, depending on where you live. Local flu shots are offered at a variety of places. In 2003, 83 million doses of flu vaccine were distributed. It is estimated that a similar number of the population were able to find a place for flu shot vaccines in the 2005-2006 flu season. Approximately 4% of people surveyed were unable to find a place for flu shot vaccines, or the vaccine was unavailable.
The Center for Disease Control does not foresee any shortage of local flu shots for the upcoming season. If your doctor does not provide annual flu shots, there are a number of other facilities that offer the vaccine every year. During the last flu season, 19% of those people vaccinated only had to go to work or school to find a place for flu shots. It is becoming more common for large companies to offer flu shot clinics on-site to employees. The corporate belief is that flu shot vaccinations may prevent large outbreaks and reduce the number of “sick calls”.
Many colleges and universities hosted flu shot clinics in the last season, so that students would not have to search for local flu shots. In an environment where many people are in close contact with each other on a daily basis, outbreaks are fairly common. Colleges and universities subscribe to the same belief as much of corporate America, in that prevention by vaccination reduces absences.
County and city health departments typically offer local flu shots. During the last season 8% of those people who received the vaccine went to their local health department. Most city and county governments have websites that provide information on where to find a place for flu shot vaccinations in your area, even if the health department does not offer them.
In recent years, the pharmacy department of many large retailers, such as Costco and Sam’s Club, offered local flu shots. In the last season 10% of those people who were vaccinated received the shot at a “store”. If you have a large retailer in your area, this may be where you can find a place for flu shot vaccinations this year. Costco pharmacy does plan to offer local flu shots again this year. Check with your local retailers for dates and information concerning this year’s flu shot plans.
If you live in a senior center or nursing home, most of them provide on-site local flu shots. The recreation centers in many areas often host flu shot clinics, as well. Hospital, healthcare workers and residents of nursing homes are among the people who are at greatest risk of contracting the flu and nursing home residents are at high risk of developing life-threatening complications from influenza. It is usually easy for high risk people to find a place for flu shot vaccinations. When supplies are limited, public health organizations advise that high risk individuals should get the first shots.
While 39% of all persons vaccinated did visit their doctor or HMO provider for the shot last season, there were alternatives for local flu shots, even for those people who do not have health insurance. Companies like Costco help people find a place for flu shot vaccinations and provide them at a lower price.
- SPECIAL REPORT- Countries, companies risk billions in race for coronavirus vaccine
- Phil Gould slams ‘rubbish’ anti-vaccinations beliefs
- Americans will be the first to get French drugmaker's coronavirus vaccine because the US gave $30million for Sanofi's research before any other nation
- Rugby league hits vaccine roadblock on May 28 return to play
- Peter V’landys confident Qld gov will soften stance on anti-vax players
- Bay Area doctors prepare for coronavirus in looming flu season
- Coronavirus pandemic likely to last two years, report says
- Anti-vaxxer WAG who won't even give her children Panadol makes outrageous claim their 'picture of health' kids PROVE their lifestyle works - as her husband faces potential NRL ban for refusing to get the flu jab
- Europe could be hit by a double wave of disease in the autumn, with Covid-19 returning alongside seasonal flu, WHO warns
- The disappointing truth about antibody testing
Where to Find a Place for Flu Shot Vaccinations This Year have 681 words, post on ezinearticles.com at August 24, 2006. This is cached page on U.S News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.