A request by the Country Women’s Association (CWA) for urgent funding for its ongoing support work has been rejected by the Federal Government.
- The CWA has spent an estimated $30 million in assistance measures across the country in the past year
- It has been helping drought-affected communities with costs such as schools fees and grocery and petrol bills
- The Government has thanked the CWA for its work but says it is unable to provide more funding
The $5 million allocated to the organisation in the 2019-20 federal budget was meant to last a year, but the demand for financial help saw it spent within six months.
The CWA sought an extra $5 million, which it said it needed to continue operating during bushfires and ongoing drought.
In the past year, the CWA spent an estimated $30 million in assistance measures across the country, mainly using charitable donations as well as government funds.
“We’ve been helping people in drought-affected communities with schools fees, grocery and petrol bills, doctors’ fees and phone bills,” national president Tanya Cameron said.
“The CWA has been providing assistance for people living in this drought for the past 18 months, and it would be a shame if we can’t continue that.
“There will be households now that will miss out on funding to help pay the council rates, pay for groceries and other daily expenses.”
In a letter sent to the CWA, David Littleproud, the Minister for Drought, said the Government was unable to provide additional funding.
“The Government has committed to providing a further $33 million for the Drought Community Support Initiative,” he wrote.
“We will continue to monitor the impact of drought to ensure our support measures cover a range of areas, including financial assistance.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the hard work and commitment of the CWA in delivering financial assistance to farmers and farming families, and I acknowledge the significant effort that was put in to distribute funds in an equitable, responsible and collegiate manner.”
Ms Cameron said it would be good to have an explanation why the funding request was rejected.
Rural news in your inbox?
Subscribe for the national headlines of the day.
“[The Government] has lauded and applauded our work up until now, and most of the recipients who benefit from our work have been very complimentary,” she said.
“Sometimes the CWA funding is the only funding people are able to access because they don’t qualify for other assistance.”
As part of the $5 million it received from the Government earlier this year, the CWA is required to submit a report explaining how it was spent.
- The Latest: Ali plea to free journalist was 'turning point'
- Voters overwhelmingly reject Chargers’ plan for new stadium
- AROUND THE VALLEY: Emmaus, Southern Lehigh boys lacrosse teams to meet again to help two worthwhile charities
- The White Sox ballpark in Chicago that never was and could have changed history
- The Latest: Jim Brown recalls Ali as social force, comedian
- Chris Gethard explains his new IFC deal and how he makes his public-access show
- How a contract breach led Catfish Hunter to become baseball’s first real free agent
- The O.J. Simpson interview: On prison, 'retirement' and football
- Judge to Ex-NFL star: Can't ignore the damage you inflicted
- Ex-Vikings star Sharper sentenced to 18 years in prison
CWA's plea for extra funding to help drought-affected families rejected have 650 words, post on www.abc.net.au at November 26, 2019. This is cached page on U.S News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.