There has been speculation for some time about whether Biden will step aside in 2024, but the White House has said he intends to run for a second term, while Biden has said Harris will be his running mate.
“If you look at this most recent Manchin monstrosity , proposing 87,000 new Internal Revenue Service agents, that’s more than we currently have total, so more than double the IRS agents,” Gingrich said, referring to the Inflation Reduction Act.
“These people don’t hear anything. They don’t understand that Biden is in trouble, but I think the whole Democratic Party model is in trouble because they are so radically out of touch with the American people, and they can’t deliver on daily life, on goods and services,” he went on.
“My personal guess is that Biden will not run and that Harris won’t run, that neither of them will find a level of support necessary to sustain a nationwide campaign in 2023,” the former speaker said.
Newsweek has asked the White House for comment.
President Biden is facing a stubbornly low approval rating, with analysis from poll tracker FiveThirtyEight showing just 39.2 percent of Americans approved of the job he’s doing as of Wednesday, compared to 55.7 percent who disapproved.
A Decision Desk HQ poll, commissioned by NewsNation and conducted from July 22 to 24 among 1,000 registered voters, showed just 22 percent of Americans want Biden to run again , while 61 percent don’t want him to seek a second term.
That poll also asked respondents who they would support in the Democratic primary if Biden didn’t run, and Vice President Harris was the top choice with 16 percent support.
The Biden administration has sought to dampen speculation about the president’s future, but his low approval rating and his age have fueled discussions about the possibility he won’t run again. Biden will be 80-years-old in November and is the oldest serving president in U.S. history.
On Wednesday, Gingrich offered further criticism of Democrats and the left, citing the U.S.-Mexico border, crime and the recent high cost of gas, among other issues.
“I think if you’re truly hard left, all of this is acceptable because it’s for this greater, mythical belief system that’s almost a religion,” he said. “It’s a secular religion.”
- Kamala Harris and the US state looking to take down Trump
- 'Bad move!' Donald Trump's re-election campaign says it planned multimillion-dollar ad buy on Twitter before platform banned all political advertising
- Harry, girlfriend look on as Invictus Games end in Canada
- Is Joe Maddon changing his hairstyle?
- Billy Weir: Dungannon Swifts' great triumph is a fitting reward for no ordinary Joe
- The Flash recap: Role reversal time in Run, Iris, Run
- Harry Kane and Dele Alli goals ease so-so Spurs past Watford 2-0
- Harry Kane and Dele Alli goals ease so-so Spurs past Watford
- Harry Kane has the last laugh as so-so Spurs past Watford
- Harry Kane has the last laugh as so-so Spurs brush Watford aside
Joe Biden, Kamala Harris "will not run" in 2024, Newt Gingrich says have 567 words, post on www.newsweek.com at August 4, 2022. This is cached page on U.S News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.